Thursday, January 27, 2011

Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself



Hi there, my name is Teala, and I decided to start writing this blog because I was tired of browsing the magazine rack and thinking 'there's nothing here for me'...an optimistic, fun-loving, tree-hugging, adventurer with a passion for living things.

...Well that's an oversimplified version of the story. The truth is I'm tired, a bit overwhelmed, and a little confused.

I'm tired of being bombarded by advertising for 'so called' green products.

I'm overwhelmed by all the doom and gloom about our planet and the environment in the media.

And I'm confused about making green choices. What does 'green' mean anyway? And what about eco certification? Is it better to eat local or organic? What's better: upcycled, recycled, reused, repurposed? Phew!

So here's the plan- we're going to tackle this mountain of sustainability together! One itsy-bitsy baby step at a time. Because that's how change happens, at the roots, with a tiny seed, a small gesture, a positive intention. Come along for the ride. My goal is to make environmental education both easy and fun, because learning every day and making smart choices should make you feel good!

I'm going to talk about food issues, green choices at home, eco fashion and beauty, green marketing (and green washing), and green heroes in our communities.

And what are my credentials? I've got a Master's in Biology with a minor in Science Education (which means I can read the latest scientific literature and explain it to my boyfriend in plain English). In school, I was criticized for being too colloquial in my scientific writing, but one professor encouraged me to write popular science (so here I go). My expertise is bringing science education to the community. I work for a not-for-profit, teaching science to elementary school children. I'm passionate about involving youth in environmental education, especially amphibians and reptiles. I'm also a nature photographer, which basically means that I can't get enough of nature. I live, breath, and dream biology so it comes out in my artwork too!

I'm excited to start this adventure with you, but I need your help! Do you produce a green product? Are you pioneering a green project in your community? Are you living that elusive holistic lifestyle? I'd love to feature you on my blog! So get in touch with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment